Fishers - Silver Spotlight Show Choir Invitational 2020
Fishers High School
13000 Promise Road
Fishers, IN 46038
Saturday, February 1, 2020
The itinerary to the left was distributed by Mr. Beebe to the students in class on Tuesday, January 28, 2020. There is additional information below for your reference. Please note the information below if you intend to visit the Fishers Silver Spotlight Show Choir Invitational as some of this information cannot be found in the document.
Clicking the PDF document will give you the full schedule for the entire day at Fishers.
If you are planning to attend this competition, here are a few additional points for your awareness:
- The spectator entrance is door FH7, which is directly across from the Auditorium. All Show Choirs will perform in the Fishers High School Auditorium.
- Unisex awards were moved from 10:45 pm up to 6:20 pm in the gymnasium. Depending on the crowd situation, we may choose to send Diamond Sensations home following awards, leaving around 7 pm. Crimson Heat should plan to be there the balance of the day, but if crowd situation is not favorable, we may opt to leave and come home early with Crimson as well, not staying for Final Awards around 10:45 pm.
- If you've attended this competition in the past (4 previous times), they've changed the format this year and they have no NIGHT FINALS. They will run small school Unisex, followed by large school Unisex, then Middle Schools, then small school Mixed and large school Mixed become the "NIGHT FINALS". We've not experienced this format in the past and awards were finished by 6 pm. This year, awards are waiting until the end of the large school Mixed competition group, which could mean a very long day for all of us, but one performance for our students.
- Because there's not a "day show" and "night show", tickets are $15 per adult for all day. Student admission (high-school age or younger) and Seniors 60+ are $10 for all day. (School ID or other ID may be required). Children under age 4 are admitted free of
charge. Tickets can be purchased at door (FH7). There is only one admission price and it’s good for all choir performances. Fishers notes that there will be no refunds.
- Diamond Sensations is scheduled to go first at 7:30 am. There will likely be only one or two other schools in the building and very little spectators from other schools. We encourage family, friends, etc. to come see them as the auditorium capacity will likely be light. We've never had a group run before (8:15 am was a previous "earliest time"), so we appreciate as much of a crowd as possible to cheer for them. Note that Diamond Sensations will perform their "warm-up" on the Auditorium Stage so that microphones can be set correctly before they perform in front of the judges. You may arrive and hear them singing prior to 7:30 am, but not allowed to enter the auditorium during their warm-up time. Meaning, you may arrive early but not yet be able to enter the auditorium due to warm up of the first group of the day (Diamond Sensations).
- Please be aware that we are concerned that Fishers hasn't thought through crowd concerns with this all-day-one-ticket-no-night-finals format and we think seating will be a problem as the day builds, especially after all of the morning schools go and they have to simply wait and watch other groups throughout the day. There might be some issues around the time Crimson Heat performs and certainly there will be more people in the building but for the large schools in the evening, they won't have enough seats for the student attendees, let-alone the parents for those schools or those of you who want to stay all day with your student and watch large schools. For Crimson Heat, we are suggesting you arrive extra-early to ensure you have a seat as arriving the choir just before ours may prove to be difficult to find a seat. We believe they will exceed capacity in the late afternoon and we're not sure how they will handle that. There was a similar issue on the show choir circuit last year (we didn't attend), but that host school had a capacity problem just like this and they had to announce from the auditorium stage that anyone not a member of the school about to perform had to leave (even if they had an all-day wrist band). That school has their competition this Saturday as well and they limited the number of entries to avoid a repeat problem Fishers may have a plan we didn't think of but we're concerned that this may happen on Saturday, so please don't be surprised and know that it's not our plan or anything we can do. If this becomes a concern, we welcome you providing this feedback personally to Fishers.
- Trophies will be awarded for the overall top Mixed Groups and top overall Unisex groups. They do not show that they are awarding "Top Small School Unisex" or "Top Small School Mixed" choirs, like we saw at Twin Lakes.
- In the "Small School" category for both Unisex and Mixed, both of our groups will have to compete against a group from a Large school. Don't be fooled and think that Noblesville or Center Grove are small schools (they have 2.5 or 3 times the students in their school). As noted in a previous communication, this is an ISSMA competition, but it is an "Invitational" and the host school can adjust the setup of the competing choirs as necessary. No one is breaking the rules, but we didn't want you to think these schools are "small schools" although they are competing in the same category as our students. Since the awards at the end of the day are for "top overall", it doesn't matter in the end.
- Diamond Sensations went up against Cathedral and Pendleton Heights at State Finals last year, so they are a good measurement. Pendleton Heights, Dekalb and Lebanon are a good measurement of other true small schools for Crimson Heat.
- Spectator parking is accessed just off 131st Street, just beyond the high school and next to the Football Field. Additional parking can be found on the other side of the school by the Baseball Fields. Please note that Fishers High School has other events going on during the day, so parking may be limited at different times.
- Once the door closes for a performance, it remains closed until the performance has concluded. We recommend you arrive in time to see the group before either Diamond Sensations or Crimson Heat to ensure you are in the auditorium for the performance.
- After their performances, both groups will immediately go to a "video review" of the performance they just completed. They will then see the same 20+ minute performance. Following the video review, they will change, organize and hang-up their costumes, then return to the auditorium to see other performances or to the cafeteria for food. Please be aware that they will not be available to see you until at least the conclusion of the next show choir following their performance. Both Diamond Sensations and Crimson Heat have Pendleton Heights performing immediately afterward.
- Food. The school cafeteria will be open from 7 am through 6 pm for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Concessions will be open through 8 pm. No outside food may be brought into the school.
- Fisher Silver Spotlight Show Choir Invitational is an ISSMA qualifier (the second of the season). The scores received by either Diamond Sensations or Crimson Heat can be used for submission at ISSMA finals.
Competition History and Notes:
- This is the 10th year of the Fishers Silver Spotlight Show Choir Invitational (started in January, 2011).
- New Palestine choirs last attended this competition in January, 2018.
Here is the one-page summary posted to the Facebook Fan Page on January 24, 2018: