ISSMA Small School Show Choir State Championship, 2017
Plainfield High School
1 Red Pride Drive
Plainfield, IN 46168
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Competition Follow-Up Notes:
Thank you to everyone who made the trip to Plainfield High School to support Diamond Sensations this past weekend. Not only did we have some great parent/family support, but we also had a lot of past Diamond Sensations alumni on-had to cheer on our ladies. While it was what we felt the best possible performance of the season, the 4 judges placed Diamond Sensations in last place for the 2017 State Finals. The score was actually a tie with 8th Place East Noble Premiere Edition, but a tie-breaker gave East Noble the slight edge over Diamond Sensations. Recall that ISSMA Competitions score 60% on Vocal Ability and 40% on Choreography. So, our show can be much more fun to watch and entertaining than another show, but we can lose to the less-appealing show because judges may have observed stronger vocal skills.
The nice thing about State Finals is that ISSMA brings in judges from out of state that haven't judged any of the 9 choirs previously this season and they haven't seen them live. This usually gives us an advantage in that we are on equal ground for the first time of the season. At most competitions, Diamond Sensations has to compete against large schools as there are no "Small School Women's Division" competitions we can attend. The results, when competing against schools 2 and 3 times our size aren't always the best. Still, we had hoped for and expected a better result for the end of the season this year as our ladies worked very hard. In spite of the results of the final competition of the year, Diamond Sensations had the most-successful year ever, winning Grand Champion at the last two competitions before State Finals. We are proud of all that they have accomplished in the 2017 Competition Season.
SMALL SCHOOL DIVISION - UNISEX FINALS (Official results from ISSMA):
1 - Plainfield High School, Femmes Fatales - Grand Chapion (Best Vocals and Best Band Awards)
2 - Northridge High School, Starlights
3 - DeKalb High Schoool, Sound Sensation (Best Visuals Award)
4 - Franklin Community High School, Sensations
5 - New Prairie High School, Sing Sensation
6 - Columbia City High School, City Lights
7 - Huntington North High School, Volume
8 - East Noble High School, Premiere Edition (tie)
8 - New Palestine High School, Diamond Sensations (tie)
For those who may be curious, here is how the Mixed Finals ended for 2017:
SMALL SCHOOL DIVISION - MIXED FINALS (Offical results from ISSMA):
1 - Northridge High School, Northern Lights - Grand Champion (Best Visual Award)
2 - Plainfield High School, Belles et Beaux - (Best Vocals and Best Band Awards)
3 - Franklin Community High School, Heritage Singers
4 - Huntington North High School, Varsity Singers
5 - DeKalb High School, Classic Connection
6 - Fairfield High School, Fusion
7 - Churubusco High School, New Era
8 - Columbia City High School, City Heat
9 - Garret High School, Encore!
During the course of a normal season, we typically see Plainfield High School and Northridge High School at least once or twice, but this year we never saw their shows. We saw Huntington North's fabulous show at Lawrence Central and if they received a 4th place finish in State, we can't image how great the top three must have been.
While this officially ends the 2017 competition season, planning and work for the 2018 competition season begins this summer and will continue through the fall of 2017. Thank you to everyone who helped during this past season - with costumes, chaperones, equipment transportation and fan support. While it's the students who do the performing, it takes all of us to make everything function smoothly.
The itinerary to the left was distributed by Mr. Beebe to the students in on Tuesday, March 14, 2017. There is additional information below, if you intend to visit "ISSMA State Finals" at Plainfield High School.
Clicking this PDF document will give you the full performance schedule for all groups performing at Plainfield High School.
Please note, Any student who is not remaining at Plainfield High School for the duration of the Women's Small School Show Choir Finals and returning on the bus, must have a Email sent to Mr. Beebe no later than end of day, Thursday, March 16, 2017. We cannot accept "same day" requests at ISSMA State Finals for you to take your student home versus them riding the bus back to New Palestine High School. The only exceptions would be a family or medical emergency. If you are planning on taking your student from Plainfield yourself, don't delay and please send an Email immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, no student is allowed to leave with another student. They must leave Plainfield High School with a parent or guardian. Thank you for your cooperation.
The full schedule for the entire day at Plainfield High School is available above as a PDF attachment. Here are a few additional points for your information:
- The day is broken into two sessions. The "morning session" features all of the Women's division choirs and it runs from 9:00 am through 1:45 pm. The "afternoon session" features all of the Mixed Division choirs and it runs from 4:00 pm through 9:00 pm. There is no "Night Finals". State Finals involves just one performance from each choir.
- A ticket for either the Women's Division or the Mixed Division only is $13 per adult and $11 per student. An "all day" ticket to attend both the Women's Division and Mixed Division is $20 per adult and $18 per student. Please note that a "student admission" does not involve any NPHS choir students or crew students riding the bus to the event - they will receive a hand stamp.
- Be aware that unless you plan to stay and watch the other 9 Mixed Choir Performances in the afternoon, you will want to purchase only the $13 morning ticket.
- All performances are in the Plainfield High School Auditorium.
- Spectator parking is in the South Parking Lot, with admission entrance at door # 1 or door # 7.
- Only the chaperone and room parents will be admitted to the homerooms.
- Programs will be sold for $5.
- ISSMA Show Choir Finals will offer a "State Finals" T-shirt for sale for $20.00. Your student may want to bring along some extra cash to purchase a shirt.
- ISSMA notes that, in order to comply with music copyright laws, there is absolutely no photography or video recording allowed at this event. Professional Photographer, Bateman Photos, will be taking action shots during the performances and they will have these photos available for sale. There will be no DVD's from the performances available for sale.
- No food or drink is allowed in the performance venue or the homeroom. No outside food is allowed inside Plainfield High School for ISSMA State Show Choir Championships.
- There are no awards for "Best Performer" but at ISSMA State Championships, the final order of all choirs in each division will be announced - from 9th place up through Grand Champion. Two representatives from each choir will be on-stage during the announcement of the finishing order.
Here's the one-page posting on Facebook from March 15, 2017: