Edgewood Contest of Champions 2019
Edgewood High School
601 S. Edgewood Dr.
Ellettsville, IN 47429
Saturday, February 9, 2019
Mr. Beebe provided the information in this attachment to the students
on February 5, 2019.
The full schedule for the day is available for below as a PDF attachment for you to reference. New Palestine Choir performance times have been highlighted. If you plan to attend and you did not read the information under the "attending a competition" section and "a typical competition day" (or attend the January 7, 2019 parent meeting), you are strongly encouraged to read that information to make sure we are all on the same page. Here are a few additional points for your information:
- Both choirs perform in different locations. The Gymnasium is the location for all of the mixed choirs (Crimson Heat), including the Varsity and Championship divisions. The Auditorium is the location for the Middle School and Unisex/Single-Gender groups (Diamond Sensations)..
- Note that Edgewood is a very small school and one of the smallest locations we will visit this season, next to possibly East Noble High School. Seating may be challenging in some locations. Please be patient and understanding
- Edgewood is a CASH ONLY competition - entrance wrist bands and concessions will not have an option to use a Credit Card, Debit Card or Checks. There is a bank approximately 1 mile away with an ATM. Please come prepared with cash already, so you aren't delayed.
- Edgewood will have a T-Shirt students can purchase that has the names of all the competing schools. We don't know the cost, but you might keep this in mind if your student will want to purchase a shirt.
- A ticket (wristband) of $15 will allow you access to both the morning and afternoon sessions, through daytime awards at 4:30 pm in the Gymnasium. Edgewood will charge another $10 ticket fee for the evening finals that start at 6:00 pm. They offer a full day ticket of $18 that would allow access to both day and night finals for the day. Children age 5 and under are free. Seniors 65+ or school students age 6-17 can receive an all-day wrist band for $12. If neither New Palestine Show Choirs reach the evening finals, we will pack-up and return home, arriving around 7 pm. If either group reaches Night Finals, both choirs will plan to stay until the end of the evening and return back around 12 midnight.
- Edgewood will have several large and small schools from Indiana and a few very large schools from Illinois and Ohio. We have no way of predicting the outcome or whether we think either group will reach the evening finals. Please note this when purchasing wrist-bands at the entrance.
- The Edgewood school cafeteria will provide food options for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Concessions. No outside food may be brought into the school. Bringing food into the school could result in disqualification of point penalties for our choirs. Also, bringing outside food into the choir homeroom could result in the same penalty. At this competition, Water is not allowed in homerooms - no food or drink can be brought into the homeroom.
- Edgewood mentions NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY is allowed from any type of camera, cell phone or smart phone. Please always follow the rule that if you take pictures or video with a smart phone, that the flash/light must be off. Having the light on or a flash going-off is a huge distraction to the performers on the stage. We need all of our students 100% focused on their performance and having a good time, so we ask that you and your family and friends follow this rule and don't use lighting or flash. Edgewood has noted that if flash is used during our performances, this could result in disqualification. They also do not allow video recording due to copyright laws. Edgewood High School may make announcements on site regarding photos or video and we ask that all New Palestine parents and guests abide by the rules and requests of the host school.
- There is no "video review" for the choirs, following the performance. As soon as they are finished with their show, the choirs will return to the homeroom for some feedback from the director, then they will change out of their costumes. It will be 20-25 minutes after the performance before they will be available to speak with you or come back to the auditorium. If you paid for admission to the event, you are strongly encouraged to watch the next group after our choirs just for comparison.
- Crimson Heat performs in the Varsity Division of the mixed choirs. Most, if not all, of these schools are "small school" and roughly the same student enrollment. Lebanon, Austin and South Dearborn are very good comparisons for New Palestine. You are encouraged to watch some of these, so you know how we look compared to those. The Championship Division involves schools that are much larger than New Palestine, where most of them will have double or triple the number of students we have. It's typically a very different show to watch and very entertaining.
- Diamond Sensations will perform in a single division and some of the schools are our same size and others, like Center Grove and Danville, Illinois, will be much larger. If you have never seen Center Grove Debtones perform, you are encouraged to stay around and see their show, since you won't be able to see your student yet until about 30 minutes after their show.
- We won't know whether either group is advancing to evening finals until daytime awards occur at 4:30 pm.
- Awards at 4:30 pm will feature two members from all choirs that participated. Each choir will receive a participation trophy and there are other awards, such as top solo, best band, etc. Edgewood will announce the finishing order and award trophies in all divisions, up to grand champion. Those groups that advance to night finals will receive additional trophies for their finishing order in finals.
- The top 2 Women's (Unisex/Single-Gender) and top 5 Mixed Show Choirs will advance to night finals. Their performance order will be randomly drawn and announced at daytime awards.
- Edgewood Contest of Champions is Not an ISSMA Competition - meaning, the score/results we receive cannot be used to qualify for ISSMA State Finals. This is simply a competition to get our choirs out on the road and to visit a place we've not been before and see a variety of choirs, some of whom we will see again and others we won't. Our students should focus on bringing their very best overall performance.
Competition History and Notes:
- This is a well-established competition that's been running for many years.
- This is the first time that NPHS Choirs has visited Edgewood High School for a competition.
Facebook Announcement posted on Tuesday, February 5, 2019: