Ben Davis High School - Giant Spectacular 2019
Ben Davis High School
1200 North Girls School Road
Indianapolis, IN 46214
Diamond Sensations Performance Time: 8:30 am (Gymnasium)
Top 4 Unisex Finalists Announced: 2:15 pm (Gymnasium)
Crimson Heat Performance Time: 2:40 pm (Auditorium)
Top 5 Small Mixed Finalists Announced: 5:15 pm (Gymnasium)
Daytime Awards 5:15 pm (Gymnasium)
The itinerary to the left was distributed to the students on Tuesday, February 12, 2019. There is additional information below for your reference. Please note the information below if you intend to visit the Ben Davis Giant Spectacular as some of this information cannot be found in the document.
Clicking the PDF document will give the full schedule of the entire day at Ben Davis.
If you are planning to attend this competition, here are a few additional points for your awareness:
- All Women's Show Choirs will perform in the Gymnasium between 8 am and 12 noon. The Small Mixed Show Choirs will perform in the Auditorium between 12:10 and 4:40 pm. The morning performances in the Auditorium involve Middle school and Festival Class schools. Please be sure you are in the proper location for your student's performance. Once a performance starts, they will shut the doors and they will not allow entry until after the performance is over. We strongly recommend you arrive in time to see the group before either Diamond Sensations or Crimson Heat to make sure you are in the right location.
- The spectator entrance is door # 1 at the front of the building, which is the main entrance to the school. Spectator parking is in the front parking lots and in the southwest parking lots.
- An adult admission ticket, available at the main entrance (door # 1) for $10 will allow you access to both all of the Women's and Mixed Show Choir "Day Performances" - through the Awards at 6:30 pm. An "all day ticket" to allow access to all performances for the entire day is $15. If you do not purchase an "all day" ticket for $15 upon your arrival and one of our choirs makes "Evening Finals" and you wish to stay, an evening show ticket will cost another $10. Student ticket (age 6 through high school) is $7 for either day or evening show, or $10 for the entire day. Children under age 6 are free. When you purchase tickets, please be aware of the differences in ticket prices for adults and students, plus whether you want "day session only" or "all day" as the greeters will prompt you.
- Ben Davis is the largest school we will visit this season and they have much more strict rules and security than we see at most locations. Please note that if they follow past procedures, they will likely restrict access to the choir homeroom hallway to only authorized personnel. They have thoroughly checked each person trying to move from the commons area to the homeroom hallway. If you have gone back into or near the homeroom at other locations, you may find that you cannot do that at Ben Davis. This is for safety and security of all students attending the competition. We appreciate you taking a note of this and abiding by the rules. NPHS Choir Boosters will provide Ben Davis with a list of authorized names and they will distribute the few passes we are allowed. Only those with approved passes will be allowed access to the choir homeroom and hallway.
- The Ben Davis Giant Spectacular is an ISSMA qualifier. The scores received by either Diamond Sensations or Crimson Heat can be used for submission at ISSMA finals. The best possible score received by either show choir is always the primary objective of any competition and not necessarily the final finishing order.
- The Top 4 overall Women’s choirs, the Top 5 Small Mixed choirs and the Top 4 Large Mixed choirs will move on to the Night Show. The Small School Mixed Choir “Night Show” will occur in the Auditorium, just like the day performance. The Women’s Choirs and Large School Mixed Night Show will occur in the Gymnasium.
- Crimson Heat will perform with a group of 10 other "Small Mixed" show choirs in the Auditorium. The top 5 of these 10 choirs will move on to Night Finals. We feel that Crimson Heat has a strong chance to make Night Finals, but being that this is our first ISSMA competition, it's hard to determine how we will stand. Diamond Sensations performs in the Unisex division. As we discussed at the Choir Booster Meeting on Monday, February 11, there are only 8 Unisex choirs. Of those 8 choirs, 5 are "Large School" and 3 are "Small School". Ben Davis, unfortunately, doesn't have a "Small School Women's" category (yet - this could always change in the future). We can't say either way whether we feel Diamond Sensations will make the night show - same reason as above that Diamonds also has not yet performed at an ISSMA competition and we don't know how we compare.
- FINALISTS. At 2:15 pm in the Gymnasium, they will announce the top 4 Women's Choirs that are moving-on to night finals. We should know before Crimson Heat performs, if Diamond Sensations is moving-on to Night Finals. At 5:15 pm in the Auditorium, they will announce the top 4 Small Mixed schools moving on to night finals, along with daytime awards. We should know by roughly 5:45 pm whether Crimson Heat will be staying for the Night Show. Regardless of whether we move on or not, "daytime awards" will occur at 5:15 pm in the Gymnasium where Ben Davis will award participation trophies, soloist awards, etc.
- If either group qualifies for the "Night Show", both groups should plan to remain onsite through the end of the NPHS choir performance. The Night Show runs from approximately 7:00 pm through 11:30 pm. Note that if neither group qualifies for night finals, then we will pack up and return to NPHS around 6:30 pm.
- There will be no spectator video recording allowed at the Ben Davis Giant Spectacular.
- Action Photos are expected to be on-site again this time and will likely frown upon personal photography. Ben Davis states, "no flash photography allowed" in their guidelines. They previously did not allow photographic equipment to be carried-in. Photographers in the venue or the MC on the stage may request "no photography". We respectfully request that, as a representative of students at New Palestine High School, that you follow the rules as you hear them the day of the competition.
- After their performances, both groups will immediately go to a "video review" of the performance they just completed. They will then see the same 20+ minute performance. Following the video review, they will change, organize and hang-up their costumes, then return to the auditorium to see other performances or to the cafeteria for food. Please be aware that they will not be available to see you until at least the conclusion of the next show choir following their performance. Ben Davis is one of the largest competitions we will attend this season and we will see some very large schools competing (Franklin Central, Lawrence Central, North Central, Whiteland, Castle, etc). For the Women's division, there are several Unisex groups that technically fall into the "Small School" category but Ben Davis doesn't separate large and small unisex groups (yet). The top 4 overall Unisex groups will advance. Two years ago, Ben Davis separated the "Small Mixed" from the "Large Mixed" schools into their own Night Finals. There's always the possibility that they could make this change for Unisex in the future. For the Small Mixed School category, we will see a good mix of schools we have already seen and some that we have not.
- Food - the school cafeteria will be open from 7 am through 9 pm for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as concessions. No outside food may be brought into the school.
Competition History and Notes:
- This is the 15th year of the Ben Davis Giant Spectacular
- NPHS Show Choirs have attended this competition every year it's been available, during the time we've had competition class choirs.
- Crimson Heat qualified for the "Night Finals" for the Small Mixed school last year.