Ben Davis High School - Giant Spectacular 2016
Ben Davis High School
1200 North Girls School Road
Indianapolis, IN 46214
Saturday, February 20, 2016
Diamond Sensations Performance Time: 8:25 am
Crimson Heat Performance Time: 1:35 pm
The itinerary to the left was distributed to the students on Tuesday, February 16, 2016. There is additional information below for your reference. Please note the information below if you intend to visit the Ben Davis Giant Spectacular as some of this information cannot be found in the document.
Clicking the PDF document will give the full schedule for the entire day at Ben Davis.
If you are planning to attend this competition, here are a few additional points for your awareness:
- All Women's Show Choirs will perform in the Gymnasium between 8 am and 1:30 pm. The Small Mixed Show Choirs will perform in the Auditorium between 8:00 am and 3:10 pm. Note: this is backwards from past history. If you had a previous student in show choir at NPHS and you attended a Ben Davis Competition - Diamonds has always performed in the Auditorium and Crimson in the Gym. Please ensure you are in the proper location for your student's performance. Once a performance starts, they will shut the doors and they will not allow entry until after the performance is over. We strongly recommend you arrive in time to see the group before either Diamond Sensations or Crimson Heat to ensure you are in the proper location for the performance.
- The spectator entrance is door # 1 at the front of the building, which is the main entrance to the school. Spectator parking is in the front parking lots and in the southwest parking lots.
- An adult admission ticket for $10 will allow you access to both all of the Women's and Mixed Show Choir "Day Performances" - through the Awards at 6:30 pm. An "all day ticket" to allow access to all performances for the entire day is $15. If you do not purchase an "all day" ticket for $15 upon your arrival and one of our choirs makes "Evening Finals" and you wish to stay, an evening show ticket will cost another $10. There is no way to predict if either or both show choirs will reach the Night Show, so we don’t know how to advise you on your purchase. Student ticket (age 6 through high school) is $7 for either day or evening show, or $10 for the entire day. Children under age 6 are free. When you purchase tickets, please be aware of the differences in ticket prices for adults and students, plus whether you want "day session only" or "all day" as the greeters will prompt you.
- Ben Davis is the largest school we will visit this season and they have much more strict rules and security than we see at most locations. Please note that they will restrict access to the choir homeroom hallway to only authorized personnel. They will thoroughly check each person trying to move from the commons area to the homeroom hallway. If you have gone back into or near the homeroom at other locations, you will find that you cannot do that at Ben Davis. This is for safety and security of all students attending the competition. We appreciate you taking a note of this and abiding by the rules. NPHS Choir Boosters will provide Ben Davis with a list of authorized names and they will distribute the few passes we are allowed. Only those with approved passes will be allowed access to the choir homeroom and hallway.
- The Ben Davis Giant Spectacular is an ISSMA qualifier. The scores received by either Diamond Sensations or Crimson Heat can be used for submission at ISSMA finals. The best possible score received by either show choir is always the primary objective of any competition and not necessarily the final finishing order.
- The Top 3 overall Women’s choirs, the top 5 Small Mixed choirs and the top 5 Large Mixed choirs will move on to the Night Show. This is slightly different from our past appearances at Ben Davis. They typically have not isolated the Small School Mixed Choirs in their own Night Show and instead have had them compete with the Large School Mixed Choirs, like we see at other venues. The Small School Mixed Choir “Night Show” will occur in the Auditorium, just like the day performance. The Women’s Choirs and Large School Mixed Night Show will occur in the Gymnasium.
- At 4:00 pm in the Gymnasium (also being broadcast in the Auditorium), they will announce the top three Women’s groups moving on to the Night Show. They will also announce the top 5 Small Mixed groups moving on to the Night Show. We should know by roughly 4:00 pm whether we will be staying for the Night Show or not.
- If either group qualifies for the "Night Show", both groups should plan to remain onsite through the end of the performance. The Night Show runs from approximately 7:00 pm through 11:30 pm. Note that if neither group qualifies for night finals, then we will pack up and return to NPHS around 7:30 pm.
- There will be no spectator video recording allowed at the Fishers Silver Spotlight Show Choir Invitational. Professionally-recorded videos will be available for purchase throughout the day.
- Action Photos are expected to be on-site again this time and will likely frown upon photography, but Ben Davis only states, "no flash photography allowed". They previously did not allow photographic equipment so perhaps that has changed this year. We request that you follow the rules and not use a flash if you take pictures. The flash is extremely distracting for the performers on-stage and we need them to not have any additional distractions and to stay focused on their performance.
- After their performances, both groups will immediately go to a "video review" of the performance they just completed. They will then see the same 20+ minute performance. Following the video review, they will change, organize and hang-up their costumes, then return to the auditorium to see other performances or to the cafeteria for food. Please be aware that they will not be available to see you until at least the conclusion of the next show choir following their performance. There are a lot of great choirs to see at this competition. Crimson Heat will go up against several Small School Mixed choirs that they have seen at the previous 3 competitions. For the Women's division, Only DeKalb High School and New Palestine fall into the "Small School" category and the remaining 10 are "Large School". This competition will feature performances by Carmel's Mixed Choir - Ambassadors and their Women's Choir - Accents. We rarely perform at the same venue as Carmel High School and they are a good one to watch if you want to see what kind of product a wealthy school with over 5,000 students can bring to a competition.
- Programs are available for $5 at the ticket counter.
- Food - the school cafeteria will be open from 7 am through 9 pm for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as concessions. No outside food may be brought into the school.
Competition History and Notes:
- This is the 13th year Ben Davis has held the "Giant Spectacular" competition.
- The competition last year (2015) was "cancelled" by Ben Davis due to a snow storm that arrived in Indianapolis on the morning of the competition.
- New Palestine Show Choirs have attended the Ben Davis competition many times in the past, but last performed there in February, 2013.
Here is the one-page summary posted to the Facebook Fan Page on February __, 2016: